hardmuncle

Baxter Dury - Miami (Parrot and Cocker Too Remix) Jarvis Cocker Remix String and Bass Analysis

Question

Hi, I'm loving the strings in this track but i'm not sure exactly what i'm listening to, are these orchestral strings, do you think that they were recorded for the track or if i'll be able to find a sample library with similar strings? The rest of the track i think i'm pretty down with but these strings i find so nice!!! Anyone got a sample library that they recognise these strings from??

6 answers to this question

The artist has definitely worked with samples of strings because you can hear it loop over and over with a slight off time jolt before it loops. But whether the artist made the samples him or herself, or used a sample from a sample pack, or sampled them from another track (illegally) is difficult to know. If i was to guess, i'd say much of it is a sampled passage played out by real strings, which has been chopped up and re-ordered into new melodies and looped in various ways.

Regarding a sample pack to find it from, i'd say you'd find it difficult to recognise if you were to browse through a sample packs. It sounds like the artist has significantly changed the melodies and motifs from the original sample by rearranging it and looping it in original ways.

4 hours ago, Tweakem said:

The artist has definitely worked with samples of strings because you can hear it loop over and over with a slight off time jolt before it loops. But whether the artist made the samples him or herself, or used a sample from a sample pack, or sampled them from another track (illegally) is difficult to know. If i was to guess, i'd say much of it is a sampled passage played out by real strings, which has been chopped up and re-ordered into new melodies and looped in various ways.

Regarding a sample pack to find it from, i'd say you'd find it difficult to recognise if you were to browse through a sample packs. It sounds like the artist has significantly changed the melodies and motifs from the original sample by rearranging it and looping it in original ways.

Thanks, its a Jarvis Cocker remix, so theres a good chance that the strings are real, he'd have the budget etc i'm certain. Seems i'll just have to chase something similar down.

This track has some very very subtle elements actually, like the bass I think is a live bass but at the start it has the slightest synth layer on top, I'm not sure you would even hear the synth on top if you weren't on monitors or some really nice speaker, maybe headphones its more detactable.

Anyone else got anything to mention about this track production wise, the synth part i'm going to try and work out what was used, i think it sounds like a saw tooth bandpass filtered then just sequenced with a nice LFO, I can;t decide whether its a nice modular or MS20, it kind of has that MS20 wind sound to it maybe just one really fat oscllator?

i don't think it's a real bass plus a synth on top. If it is a real bass, which it could be, it sounds like it has been bit crushed. I think that's the effect you're hearing. A real bass may have been sampled from a record into an old 12 bit sampler. (to get the bit crushed effect). Otherwise, the producer could have inserted a bit crushing plugin to get the effect. If a synth was used, it's probably a saw mixed in with a square. Sounds a bit hollow meaning need a square. Or perhaps its just a saw but then bit crushed to get the hollowness. Try that too.

9 hours ago, Tweakem said:

i don't think it's a real bass plus a synth on top. If it is a real bass, which it could be, it sounds like it has been bit crushed. I think that's the effect you're hearing. A real bass may have been sampled from a record into an old 12 bit sampler. (to get the bit crushed effect). Otherwise, the producer could have inserted a bit crushing plugin to get the effect. If a synth was used, it's probably a saw mixed in with a square. Sounds a bit hollow meaning need a square. Or perhaps its just a saw but then bit crushed to get the hollowness. Try that too.

Yeah, thanks, i think your right listening again sounds maybe like its gone through a slight bit crushing effect, i just got the vinyl and I have to say that the track is sublime, you can hear its a live bass a little better, i have to say the vinyl sounds much thicker and chunkier feel to it like it lost some power when youtube/spotify got involved in the low end especially the ooomph is lost.

I did think it might have been a sH101 with some compression but i'm sure its  live bass now, well, 95%.

i'm becoming obsessed with this track quite honestley. Theres also a synth that comes in around 5.40 with a horn like sounds like a LFO is opening the VCA, any ideas what synth that could be, MS20 and what wave i should be looking to? Would you say thats a square wave too as it sounds hollow?

On 8 January 2019 at 7:00 AM, hardmuncle said:

Theres also a synth that comes in around 5.40 with a horn like sounds like a LFO is opening the VCA, any ideas what synth that could be, MS20 and what wave i should be looking to? Would you say thats a square wave too as it sounds hollow?

Yes it's a square wave because it sounds hollow but you can also hear a raspy/brassy quality to the sound, which suggests a saw wave is also mixed in. So it's just a square plus saw, and the filter cutoff has been modulated with an LFO which varies according to another source, most probably a mod wheel. Assign your mod wheel to the LFO speed and you can change the speed of the LFO as the track progresses, as is done in the track. It doesn't matter what synth you use. Just use any subtractive synth. They can all make a sound similar to this.

On 8 January 2019 at 7:00 AM, hardmuncle said:

I did think it might have been a sH101 with some compression but i'm sure its  live bass now, well, 95%.

It could very well be a live bass, but I still think it's entirely possible to be a synth. And even if it is a live bass, you could achieve a very similar result with a synth if u dialled in the right parameters.