Sign in to follow this  
Denitus

Seeking Advice

Question

Hi,

So I've been producing for a good year now, maybe a bit more. For the past few months now I've noticed that my skills are improving and I've become very consistent. I'm not where I wan't to be, but I'm slowly reaching my goal. Anyway to stop boring you with silly words lets talk some music.

For the past two weeks I was making this melodic techno style of a track. It's not intended to be sent to a label or anything, but I would like to receive some criticism so that I'd have a better perspective on areas I need to improve for my future projects. For instance, how do you guys think the track is mixed and how would you mix it differently? Does the arrangement keep you interested throughout, apart from the long intro? Do you feel the song has a good stereo image and 3D depth? Any other weak areas you guys can point out? As you can see I'm mainly looking for an advice from a pair of more experienced ears then mine. Also considering I'm producing with the Sennheiser HD 598 and sonarworks reference I'd be quite interested to know how the track sounds in a room with proper acoustic treatment and monitor speakers.

Regards

2 answers to this question

hey man,

i feel the kick is a little too powerfull in the beginning, i think it would be better to filter that in. im not sure about the snare tbh, my ears are not good trained but they sound like there is too much low end or mud from a reverb.

I like the build up in the first break, but after that the kick sound a bit masked, cant tell, maybe sidechaining works?  The depth is nice, but the track  gets a little bit boring towards the end. Maybe it could benefit from some rhythmic variation, or a new instrument. Overall it sounds a little bit unbalanced, but i know there are other people here that can help you more on the technical side:D

greets

• Like 1

Hey Tobi,

Thx for taking the time and listening to the track, I appreciate it.

4 hours ago, Tiger Tobi said:

i feel the kick is a little too powerfull in the beginning, i think it would be better to filter that in. im not sure about the snare tbh, my ears are not good trained but they sound like there is too much low end or mud from a reverb.

Now that you've mentioned it I completely agree. The Bass has more of an impact If I filter the kick in. I'm confused about the snare part since I didn't put any in. I did had a snare/clap layer ready to be used but I simply didn't feel it would feet anywhere in. The kick is also not under any reverb apart from the general reverb I used to put all the instruments inside the same room. The kick it self does contain a longer release so it has quite a lot of sub bass. Maybe this is what you've heard?

I like the build up in the first break, but after that the kick sound a bit masked, cant tell, maybe sidechaining works? 

Yea I've noticed that the kick gets masked when I when I listened to this track in my car and I think I fixed it by increasing the frequency of the kick at around 3k. Still need to test this though. 

The depth is nice, but the track  gets a little bit boring towards the end. Maybe it could benefit from some rhythmic variation, or a new instrument.

I did add one instrument that slowly fades in and out and the voice FX is used, but I reckon it's not enough to sustain the interest? I could change the rythm a bit. Maybe increase the drive trough some already present instruments or replace the shaker instrument with another. In any case this is a good point to keep for my future projects.

Overall it sounds a little bit unbalanced, but i know there are other people here that can help you more on the technical side

In what way? Do you mean it's unbalanced tonally between the instruments or volume balance ( mixing ). If it's the latter I will confess that this is the area I'm currently struggling with. Like Ricks says Mixing is an art and requires time and dedication to improve.

Again, thx for taking the time to respond.

Cheers

Sign in to follow this